WHY IS THIS PROGRAM SPECIAL?
Offered annually since 1999, the APALI Youth Leadership Academy is a unique and innovative college-level class exploring Asian American & Pacific Islander experience, community, civic engagement, and leadership.
* YLA's non-traditional pedagogy includes many interactive workshops, inspiring guest speakers, community tour, city hall visit, team project.
* Dozens of APALI alumni return each year to share their personal stories, career experiences, and civic journeys.
* Students bond and broaden their vision through learning about each others stories.
* Supported by peer mentors, the class develop a strong sense of family that results in lifelong friendships and a large alumni network.
* In addition to knowledge and skills, students are personally empowered and gain a solid foundation for creating positive community change.
* More than a class, the APALI Youth Leadership Academy offers students an unforgettable transformative experience.
INSTRUCTORS & PEER MENTORS
This special class is led by Dr. Michael Chang, Prof. Christine Chai, and a staff of eight peer mentors.
This class is targeted to current or entering college students.
APALI CLASS SCHEDULE
July 5 - August 10, 2017
ICS 20.56: Asian American Experiences
Tues, Wed, Thu 10:00-12:25
POL SCI 17.56: Grassroots Democracy
Leadership & Power
Tue, Wed, Thu 1:30-3:55
APALI students are required to register for BOTH courses.
8 TRANSFERABLE COURSE UNITS
Students will be enrolled concurrently in two classes, earning 8 UC/CSU transferable units:
ONLINE APPLICATION DEADLINE
Early Priority: April 30, 2017
Regular Due Date: May 30, 2017